News Archive













Motorcycle Gang Feud Linked To One Of Three State Murders

The Age

Friday February 5, 1993

Bruce Tobin, Antony Catalano

Detectives last night were investigating links between two feuding motorcycle gangs and a man who was shot dead at North Shore near Geelong yesterday.

It was one of three murders in a day of violence across Victoria. The incidents included: The fatal stabbing of a 27-year-old man on a property at Darraweit Guim, near Wallan, north of Melbourne, about 1.15pm. Another man, armed with a knife, was found at the property and had a self-inflicted stab wound.

The fatal shooting of a man, in his early 20s, inside a house in Franklin Road, Doncaster East, about 3.25pm. He had gunshot wounds to the head.

The shooting of a man in the arm by police when he pointed an air rifle at two policemen inside an Altona flat about 6am.

In the North Shore murder, police said that a man, in his 30s, was shot in the chest at the clubrooms of the Warlocks Motorcycle Club and later died. A second man, in his 30s, is in a critical condition with gunshot wounds to the stomach. A third man was bashed about the head with a blunt instrument at the clubrooms in Seaforth Street. He is in a stable condition. Both men were recovering in the Geelong Hospital.

Detectives last night were investigating links between the shooting and a feud between the Warlocks and another motorcycle club, the Black Uhlans. It is believed there was a violent clash between the two clubs on New Year's Eve.

Police last night searched the motorcycle clubrooms trying to piece together events. Workers in neighboring factories said there was a loud argument before the shooting.

Inspector Tim Attrill said there were several people inside the clubrooms at the time. A group of people was seen leaving after the shooting. They headed towards Seabreeze Parade about 2.30pm. Police believe more than one firearm was used. They were were interviewing several people last night and were expected to raid a number of properties.

Detectives are waiting to interview the injured man involved in the stabbing murder at Darraweit Guim, who remains in a serious condition in the Royal Melbourne Hospital. Police said the man, armed with a knife, held them at bay for about an hour before he was arrested on the property in Stennings Lane. Police investigating the murder are expected to seek his help.

Homicide squad detectives investigating the Doncaster murder were told that two men were seen fleeing the Franklin Street house about 3.30pm.

The man is understood to have gone to visit a woman who lives at the house with her two young daughters. The man was confronted by two men inside and shot in the head.

The police internal investigations department is investigating the Altona police shooting. The Acting Assistant Commissioner (Operations), Mr Brian Church, said two constables went to the flat about 6am after a woman phoned police claiming a man was in the flat, armed with a gun and was depressed.

Mr Church said the constables found the man sitting on the living room floor with an air rifle pointed at his face. A struggle developed when one of the officers attempted to disarm the man. He said the gunman then turned the gun on the officers and one of the policeman fired two shots in self-defence, injuring the man in the arm. One of the officers received cuts to the hand during the struggle.

The police shooting at Altona is the third shooting involving police in about two months.

© 1993 The Age

Back to News Index | Back to Home